Top Twenty Things I Never Expected: Surprised by ADHD
1. Going to the park – spending the whole time keeping my daughter from running into the street.
2. Being asked to make other daycare arrangements.
3. Being told every single day that my daughter was disruptive during nap-time.
4. Despising pre-school nap-time.
5. Grocery shopping = my worst nightmare.
6. Being told my daughter cut another kid’s hair.
7. Wishing the teacher didn’t want to talk to me at pick-up time.
8. Giving my daughter an instruction and being asked, “What’ll you give me?” (positive reinforcement gone bad)
9. Making the rule: no standing on the kitchen counter (and then adding the bathroom counter later…out of necessity).
10. Homework = my worst nightmare.
11. Getting a call from school – my daughter had been swinging a chair over her head.
12. Getting a call from school – maybe it would be best if my daughter did not come to school the day of the Halloween party.
13. Dreading calls from school.
14. My child not getting invited to birthday parties (literally none).
15. No one showing up for a birthday party.
16. Unhelpful and uncooperative teachers and administrators.
17. My daughter testing as near genius.
18. Lots and lots of testing!
19. My daughter getting D’s and F’s.
20. Even the remotest possibility that my daughter would not graduate from high school. (She did graduate, by the way!)
Two of my favorite quotes that have been important to me:
“A keen sense of humor helps us to overlook the unbecoming, understand the unconventional, tolerate the unpleasant, overcome the unexpected, and outlast the unbearable.” – Billy Graham
“Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.” – John Wooden
And that’s all I have to say about that.